How do you know if something works? By testing it. It’s an extremely simple concept, but it is a strategy ignored so often by small businesses that it almost feels like a secret weapon. Testing is the single best way to measure the success of your website, marketing campaign, or content. It gives you solid results and unbiased answers. Sure, it takes some effort and money, but the information you get from testing can catapult you beyond your competition.
This week, along with some other interesting headlines, we have linked to several posts about how testing can help your small business or law firm reach the next level of success, from taking a closer look at user experience to engaging in A/B split testing.
- Cultivating Innovation. A little bit of innovation could be the only thing that separates you from your competitors and truly gives you an edge online. But how does innovation happen? At Forbes, David Amerland walks readers through five different ways that you can help innovation grow at your law office. After all, all of the greatest ideas related to SEO, website design, and online marketing started with a new and fresh idea.
- Where SEO and User Experience Collide. It doesn’t matter how great your SEO is if your website provides a terrible user experience: users will find your site easily, but then bounce away when they can’t find what they need or are confused by what they see. On Moz Blog, Kristina Kledzik discusses how SEO experts can approach issues with user experience, even when they might face resistance from other team members. This is a must-read if you believe your website has an UX problem but you aren’t sure what to do about it.
- Google Maps Update Targets Yelp Users. Just weeks after an algorithm update that may have significantly harmed Yelp results, Google Maps has been updated with several features that Yelp users will find familiar. This might mean that more users will go to Google for Yelp-like searches, so make sure your Google Business page is up to date and that you are raking in positive Google reviews.
- An A/B Testing Tutorial. We love this post. It doesn’t just explain what A/B testing is, it takes you step-by-step through what you can do to run a test on your own website. Right now. Today. Even if you’d rather hire an expert to conduct tests on your website and online campaigns, this Smashing Magazine article by Kevin Holesh is great for understanding the gist of split testing and how it is accomplished correctly.
- Test your messaging ideas with PPC ads. Business 2 Community has a great strategy for small businesses with new but untested marketing messages: create some pay-per-click campaigns and track which messages are the most successful. No, it isn’t free, but most great ways of testing your marketing strategies are. We also think that messaging isn’t the only thing you can test with the help of PPC advertising – perhaps you can come up with a new use as well!
Would you like to find out how effective your website and online marketing campaigns are? Do you need help with SEO, design, or testing? Call The Search Ninjas today to speak to our website design team or request a free SEO audit: (410) 929-5610.